Data Subject Access Requests
Data Subject Access Request Stats
Identify and collect data
Automatically redact private information
Simple, cost-effective production
CDS Advisory Services brings together leading advisors and technical experts to assist clients throughout the discovery process. We offer a diligent, creative, and consultative approach, which is unique in the industry. With a deep knowledge of discovery processes as well as data management, our eDiscovery consulting connects the legal and the technical worlds. CDS consultants, most of whom are former practicing attorneys, objectively recommend tools and procedures to ensure the best use of client resources.
Whether it is developing keyword searches or implementing the latest in analytics technology, Advisory Services creates solutions that help clients save time and reduce costs. These practices are applied throughout each matter, from initial workflow development to managed review and production.
CDS ensures a unified understanding of your expectations across our personnel and offices. When multiple matters occur simultaneously, an Advisory Services team member ensures all matters adhere to the client’s preferred workflow. CDS is known for its solid client relationships, which are built on the assurance that every CDS employee is driven to succeed, from the first meeting with a sales representative to closing a case with our technical staff.
Lower Costs, Save Time, and Improve Outcomes
- Designing standardized data management practices for clients anticipating multiple lawsuits
- Developing workflows to manage data housed in multiple locations, simultaneous litigation matters, and strict discovery deadlines
- Assisting in establishing internal processes for data management based on a client’s current technology, data production needs, and best practices for the client’s specific industry
- Evaluating discovery plans to issue-spot potential areas of weakness
- Advising on keyword searches to encompass what is both technically feasible and legally imperative
- Educating clients’ legal staff and litigation support on the latest eDiscovery technologies
- Applying analytics technologies to minimize the size and cost of hosting and review
- Designing and implementing predictive coding processes to minimize data sets, both at the outset of processing and at the start of review
- Standardizing and regulating the workflow implementation across CDS project managers and a client’s litigation support staff
Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs) in the UK are governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018). Under these data protection regimes, a failure to respond to a DSAR in a timely and compliant manner can result in steep fines and, in certain instances, criminal liability. Collecting, processing, reviewing, and redacting documents as part of a DSAR costs corporations millions of pounds every year. CDS provides a tailored workflow to facilitate compliance with the stringent substantive and procedural requirements of the GDPR and DPA 2018, all while reducing the costs of a DSAR by:
- Assisting in the identification and collection of data
- Culling a significant percentage of non-responsive documents before promoting documents for review
- Automatically redacting private information including names, email addresses, National Insurance numbers, and more
- Managed Review with our team of lawyer-technologists whose approach to the review process combines review proficiency with technology expertise
- Simple and cost-effective PDF production containing full redaction functionality
The dedicated legal technicians of the CDS Forensic Services team focus on the preservation, recovery, and collection of electronically stored information (ESI). Our team deploys collection strategies that use tested, repeatable best practices to plan and execute the collection method best suited for each matter.
- Data Assessments: consulting services help clients understand the scope of their data and create a strategic approach to information governance
- Data Collections: retrieve information from a multitude of platforms and devices, both remote and on-site
CDS DigitalCustoms™ – Mobile eDiscovery Appliance
Under GDPR an organisation is required to identify who has access to a requestor’s personal data. A requestor also has the right to restrict access to their data, and as such organisations may find they are limited from instructing outside organisations from hosting and reviewing the requestors personal data. CDS DigitalCustoms is a portable, proprietary eDisclosure solution that combines multiple eDiscovery technologies into a single appliance that helps clients to address the challenges of local data privacy and data security restrictions. This innovative tool enables processing, review, and production of data within a client’s facility without attaching to the local infrastructure. CDS DigitalCustoms can be fully run by an organisation on a manageable per month or subscription cost with appropriate set-up and training.
Early Case Assessment
CDS Early Case Assessment (ECA) enables users to analyse and cull their data sets before promoting documents to review. CDS ECA uses text and metadata to reduce the size of data sets being reviewed. Integrated within the Relativity workspace, CDS ECA lets users:
- Organise documents to prioritise and classify for accelerated review
- Identify potentially relevant documents and isolate privileged documents and personal data within data sets
- Cull a significant percentage of non-responsive documents
CDS utilises automatic redaction software to redact private information including names, email addresses, and more, all integrated seamlessly into the review platform.
DSARs have a tight turnaround period to identify, collect, review, and produce the relevant data. In many instances a review team needs additional resources to meet this deadline, for which CDS can utilise our Managed Review services.
CDS Managed Review goes beyond the traditional review process, which deploys large teams of contractors to manually make determinations on individual documents. We use technology solutions at the earliest stage of the review process, answering the need for smarter use of available eDiscovery tools. Transparent, constant communication between CDS technical and review staff ensures nimble service delivery.
Unlike traditional disclosure, the need for full production capabilities and load file generation is not required as part of a DSAR. In the majority of cases, documents will be disclosed to a private individual rather than an eDisclosure provider.
CDS provides a low cost production option by exporting relevant documents as redacted PDFs. Producing documents in this format allows the requestor to open documents without the need for specialised software. This process also ensures that the documents are provided with any necessary redactions, while ensuring the documents are recorded as being produced for GDPR and DPA 2018 compliance audit purposes.
Director of UK Operations
12th Floor Broadgate Tower,
20 Primrose Street,
London, EC2A 2EW
+44 (0)203 475 1592
William Wallace Belt, Jr., Esq.
Managing Director, Consulting
250 Park Ave, Fl 18
New York, NY 10177
Lessons from GDPR: What to Expect for the Future of U.S. Data Privacy
Since January 1, 2023, six U.S. states have enacted stringent privacy protections and many more are actively debating proposed laws and regulations. Considering the climate for litigation and regulatory enforcement in the U.S., what should we expect to see in the coming months and years?
Data Privacy: The Current State of GDPR
In the five years since GDPR went into effect, data privacy has become a top consideration for global businesses. What have we learned from the enforcement of international data privacy regulations to date, and what is the state of GDPR today? UK-based privacy expert Jonathan Armstrong offers an update from the front lines.
Negotiating proportionality has long been a challenge for litigators. Fortunately, the New Proportionality model can provide structure to the analysis and may help level the playing field by providing a standard vocabulary and reliable cost metrics.